Monday, June 29, 2009

Poets - Billy Collins continued

Fishing on the Susquehanna in July

I have never been fishing on the Susquehanna 
or on any river for that matter 
to be perfectly honest.  

Not in July or any month 
have I had the pleasure--if it is a pleasure-- 
of fishing on the Susquehanna.  

I am more likely to be found
in a quiet room like this one-- 
a painting of a woman on the wall,  

a bowl of tangerines on the table-- 
trying to manufacture the sensation 
of fishing on the Susquehanna.  

There is little doubt
 that others have been fishing
 on the Susquehanna,  

rowing upstream in a wooden boat, 
sliding the oars under the water 
then raising them to drip in the light.  

But the nearest I have ever come to 
fishing on the Susquehanna
was one afternoon in a museum in Philadelphia  

when I balanced a little egg of time in front time
in front of a painting
in which that river curled around a bend  

under a blue cloud-ruffled sky, 
dense trees along the banks,
 and a fellow with a red bandanna  

sitting in a small, green 
flat-bottom boat 
holding the thin whip of a pole.  

That is something I am unlikely
ever to do, I remember 
saying to myself and the person next to me.  

Then I blinked and moved on 
to other American scenes 
of haystacks, water whitening over rocks,  

even one of a brown hare 
who seemed so wired with alertness 
I imagined him springing right out of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment