Monday, March 1, 2010

Diary of Scout Finch

Dear Diary,

Today, i have realized what a scary society i am living in. Adults in maycomb are prejudice people. They cannot differentiate between the guilty and the innocent. Even i, a nine year old girl, know that Tom Robinson should be acquitted. What is wrong with the adults of Maycomb? I was devasted when Judge Taylor was polling the jury. The answer is as plain as black and white. Tom Robinson is innocent! Bob Ewell was the one who assualted Mayella and she tempted Tom Robinson! How could they put a a man, who has not committed no crime what so ever into jail? This is just so very wrong!

Would the jury have a clear conscience for the rest of their life? I doubt so. What is wrong with Maycomb, the society, our country? Did they sent him to jail just because he was black?! This is wrong, just very wrong! How could they just judge a person by his skin colour?

I am devastated diary, just so devastated. I am very sorry for Tom Robinson. I hope one day, skin colour does not matter.

Yours faithfully,

Scout

3 comments:

  1. Although you are writing as a nine year old scout, I cannot feel that this is a young scout's voice. Words like "Prejudice" and "devastated" should not be used, whereas it should be replaced by "Against" and "Scared". Reason being, young scout have a less matured brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Mitch had said. You are using words that a normal nine-year old child would not use. I also feel that a nine-year old child would not be able to say something like "Even i, a nine year old girl, know that Tom Robinson should be acquitted." I also agree with Mitch point about Scout being less matured and the examples he cited. I felt that the second last paragraph was written from the perspective of an adult Scout. A young Scout could not possibly think this matter so thoroughly. I feel that Scout would just feel sad and afraid of the society, and not feel that skin colour was the reason behind this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you comment, but i really do not know how a 9 year old girl think. I am a boy and i am 14, so i have tried my best to think like a 9 year old girl!

    ReplyDelete